Thursday, February 3, 2011

A little background on us......

We met while we were both working in 2005; Dan at Gaston Life Saving Crew and Kelly at Gaston Memorial Hospital.  It wasn't long that we became close friends - "movie buddies" as we called it back then.  Soon that friendship blossomed into something amazing.  We both found what each other had been looking for - soul mates.

We were married in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico at Aventura Spa Palace on September 27, 2007.  It was the most amazing trip - we were able to spend an amazing two weeks there - and we certainly didn't want to come home!  Once we finally returned home, we began to settle in to a very happy comfortable life.  About three months or so after that, Kelly started feeling like something was wrong with her body.  After many tests, it was determined that she had premature ovarian failure and we would not be able to have biological children.  The day that we got the dreaded news was Valentines Day of 2008.  It was a hard time for her and it took a long time for her to heal from the devastating reality.

We had been told that basically our only option was to do in vitro fertilization with an egg donor.  We pondered the option, prayed about it, and discussed it with our immediate family.  After much thought- and emotional healing - we decided God had a different plan for us.  We feel that there is a child out there that God has chosen for us to parent.  We feel that we shouldn't put so much emphasis on giving birth to a child but yet giving life to a child.  So we decided to start our adoption journey!

In early 2010, we placed our name on a waiting list with the Children's Home Society of North Carolina.  It is an adoption agency (the oldest in NC) in Greensboro.  Finally in January 2011, we received our home study packet and attended our first adoption seminar workshop yesterday.  It was awesome and really opened up our views on what adoption holds for our family.

We are very excited to be on this journey and want to invite all of you to be passengers with us.   We would like to use this blog to keep our close family and friends involved in our process.  We appreciate all of your support and prayers!

7 comments:

  1. What an amazing love story. You and Dan are going to give a very lucky child an amazing life. I wish you both all the luck in the world and I know you will be the best parents a child could ever ask for. Love and blessings.
    -June

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that you are blogging your (our) journey. I feel like this is a journey for our whole family. You and Dan are going to be such amazing parents and I can't wait to go along for the ride:)
    Love Kathy
    Oh by the way I bought some new gender neutral material Sunday;), that will be a start then we will get the color right for the second blanket:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh Kelly and Dan I am so excited for you both. God has big plans for you two. I cant wait to follow you through this journey you are both going to be amazing parents. Kelly you know my heart for you and my feelings about this and I anytime you need anything I AM HERE FOR YOU and I believe you know this!!!!!

    Love and Blessings to you both!
    Toni

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am thrilled to be included in the blog. Both you guys are just outstanding people and will be the best of parents. Some little munchkin is going to be so blessed!! My love an very best to you every step of the way.

    Love,
    Ginny

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am SO happy for ya'll! I think it is such an amazing thing that ya'll have chosen adoption - there are so many children out there that could really use an amazing couple like yourselves! I wish you the BEST of luck on this journey and am excited to "follow" you on it!
    Love,
    Kristen

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so excited for you and Dan! I know that you will be wonderful parents! Our social worker had a great saying that I love. She told us that "God's timing is perfect". That is very comforting for me to think about. I can't wait to follow your journey!
    Love,
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Adoption is such a wonderful experience. I always loved the saying "you grew in my heart instead of my womb." My thoughts are with you and Dan and I know you will be great parents. An adopted child always knows they were wanted...never an accident. I am so excited for you.
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete