Thursday, March 31, 2011

Home Inspection Complete!

Holy cow has it been a crazy week at the Harris house!  We have been doing lots of things to get the house ready for our home visit and I am seriously sleep deprived.  I had invisioned the worst of course but it actually was very pleasant and calming.  My biggest fear was our Great Dane, Diesel...I wasn't sure how our social worker would accept him and how would she feel about him being around babies.  We know he is really good with kids but you never know what a complete stranger may feel.  Fortunately, Julie is an animal lover and has two dogs and two cats at her home.  She instantly fell in love with Diesel and Belle (our chihuahua).  They were great ice breakers to say the least.

 Anyway, after she interviewed both of us - she inspected our home.  And no she didn't have on a white glove!  Thank goodness!  I was worried to death about every little detail.  I even went out and bought electric outlet covers and fire extinguishers =)  After that she sat down with me privately and interviewed me - she asked about my childhood, life experiences, goals, parenting styles, etc.  Julie was very "real" and easy to talk to.  I never felt nervous nor did I feel hesistant about my responses.  I think we hit it off pretty well.

When we were concluding the visit, she made the comment "you and Dan are going to be great parents".  This made me smile =D   We have our final visit with her on Saturday at 9am in her office in Charlotte.  Dan will have his personal interview then.  After that she has to type up a report on the home study. 

Our sister in law, Natalie, is working on getting our adoption profile printed -it looks amazing by the way!  Once it is finalized I will try to post it on here so you guys can see it too!  The profile will be handed out to birthmothers/fathers that contact our adoption agency looking for placement of their soon to be born baby. 

I cannot express enough gratitude at the overwhelming amount of support we have received from you guys.  It is humbling to know that we have such wonderful, loving people in our lives.  We are so lucky to have each and every one of you guys to share this with. 

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like everything went very smoothly:) I didn't have a doubt. Good thought will be with you Sat. Thanks for the update.
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's great! You guys WILL be awesome parents. How funny that you have the biggest of dogs and the smallest! What an odd couple they must be :)

    ReplyDelete